Saturday, January 07, 2006

Blogjacking and Dr. Laura

Resolution #7: I will always check to make sure the power is on.

L made an interesting post on her blog today that provoked a lot of responses, one from yours truly. One very *long* one from yours truly. Oh well, she's got plenty of bandwidth.

I'm somewhat surprised, though. Between last night's SnS run and that post today, my concerns about her relationship with G have rotated a hundred and eighty degrees. Before, I fretted that she was letting her attitudes become dangerously inconsistent, losing the capacity to find anything he does or says objectionable no matter how much she would (theoretically) have been irked by it in another person, and in the process destroying her personality like so many other well-meaning people I've known in my short yet glamorous career.

Why do blogging utilities never allow footnotes? Grrrr.

Now, I'm worried that she'll get tired of his fanciful nature and end the relationship out of pure frustration someday, thus killing a (potentially) perfectly good thing. (Or that he'll get tired of her factuality and do the same thing.)

I know it makes me a generally terrible person that I consider the first of those possibilities to be significantly worse than the other, but part of me is still relieved at the revelation that it's probably not an immediate danger.

That said, I feel bad for both of them individually. I suspect that neither of them quite understands how much they don't understand the other.

I want a recording of "Across This Silence" now.

-----

I was in Wal-Mart the other day (picking up a copy of Einstein's book on relativity - no, seriously), and I flipped open a copy of what appears to be Laura Schlessinger's new book, Bad Childhood, Good Life. The chapter I idly, innocently browsed to was Chapter 4 - a discussion of how to know when to break off a relationship with a parent (ex-parent, a term which she steadfastly refuses to coin throughout the chapter).

All things told, it was a rather demoralizing experience.

I really don't think I will or would ever be able to make that kind of decision.

1 Comments:

Blogger Arka said...

Sure, that's one of the points of a relationship. In fact, that's precisely why I worry - I don't want to see the chance to be enriched by someone different from oneself destroyed by the fact that people don't always react well to things that are different from themselves.

My remarks aren't a commentary on the likelihood of peril to your relationship with G; they're an expression of hope that the enrichment will win out. I think there would be something wrong with my attitude if I *didn't* hope that. If you feel defensive about this, I thank you for not trying to start a flame war on my blog, but I'm not interested in arguing the point (re: your e-mail).

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home